Birthdate: June 30, 1985
Age: 23 years
Weight: 201 lbs (91 kg)
Height: 6’3” (1.93 m)
United States' Michael Phelps, center, reacts as he wins his 8th gold medal after the men's 4x100-meter medley relay final during the swimming competitions in the National Aquatics Center at the Beijing 2008 Olympics in Beijing, Sunday, Aug. 17, 2008. In front is US swimmer Brendan Hansen.
- Set four individual world records and won seven gold medals at the 2007 World Championships to become the winningest athlete in World Championship history.
- In 2004, became first athlete ever to win eight medals (six gold) at a non-boycotted Olympic Games.
- His eight medals tie 1980 USSR gymnast Alexandr Dityatin for most medals by an athlete in a single Olympics.
- 2003 Sullivan Award winner, becoming the 10th swimmer to be honored as the top amateur athlete in the country.
- Only man to win five U.S. National titles at the same Championships.
- Only man to ever win a U.S. National title in three different strokes at one national championship.
- Youngest male Olympian since 1932 (2000 Olympics).
- Youngest man (15 years, nine months) to set a world record, breaking 200m fly mark at the 2001 Spring Nationals.
- Earned the award for Swimmer of the Year for a third time in 2004.
- 2004 - Gold 100m FL, 200m FL, 200m IM, 400m IM, 400m MR, 800m FR-R; Bronze 200m FR & 400m FR-R