An x-ray of an 11-year-old Chinese schoolboy's skull shows a 16-inch arrow, which narrowly missed Liu Cheong's brain. Cheong, a sharpshooter, was practicing with a friend, teachers at the school reportedly believe, when he was hit by the arrow. Doctors removed the arrow, but Cheong still faces the risk of infection, while his teammate is being treated for shock.
This is an X-ray image of a chair leg lodged in Shafique el-Fahkri's left eye socket, taken after an attack outside a nightclub in Melbourne, Australia in 2007. El-Fahkri fell to the ground after the leg of a metal chair thrown by Liam Peart speared into his eye socket and down his neck following several fights near the club. The victim's eyeball moved to the side and he spent a month in intensive care. While he has 95 percent of his vision back, the incident left him with a raspy voice, Australia's AAP news agency said.
An x-ray of Nicholas Holderman, a 17-month-year-old Kentucky tot, shows how a set of car keys penetrated his brain after he fell on them. The keys miraculously avoided damaging his eyesight and have been surgically removed.
Six nails embedded in the skull of construction worker Isidro Mejia, 39, after an industrial incident caused a nail gun to shoot nails into his head and brain on April 19, 2004. Five of the six nails, shown above in an X-ray from Providence Holy Cross Hospital, were removed in surgery that day and the sixth was removed from his face on April 23, after the swelling went down.
A computer tomography picture shows a pencil inside a woman's head. After being plagued for 55 years with the torment of a pencil lodged in her head, a German woman has finally had it removed. Margaret Wegner, now 60, was 4-years-old when she fell while carrying the 3.15 inch-long pencil, which went through her cheek and into her brain.
Doctor Nikola shows a fork, which was removed from an Israeli woman who swallowed it while trying to catch a bug that flew in to her mouth. Doctors at Poriah Hospital in northern Israel performed emergency surgery and removed the fork in 2003.
George Chandler, a 60-year-old retired Kansas man has fully recovered after a friend accidentally fired a 2-1/2 inch nail into his head during a home improvement project in June. Doctors told Chandler the nail narrowly missed three vessels related to eyesight, speech and physical movement. An estimated 40,000 nail-gun injuries are treated in emergency rooms in the U.S. each year.
An X-ray image of Chinese woman, Luo Cuifen, 29, released by Richland International Hospital, shows 23 needles in her body. A hospital spokesman said that her grandparents possibly embedded the needles under her skin to kill her so that a baby boy might take her place. In many parts of China, baby boys are still heavily favored over girls because they are bound by tradition to support their parents in their old age, and because they carry on the family name.
An X-ray shows steel balls and magnets inside of 8-year-old Haley Lents, after the Huntingburg, Ind. child swallowed the pieces from a magnetic toy set on May 8, 2008. The child required emergency surgery and was hospitalized for two weeks.
A 37-year-old man had a knife embedded in his brain during an altercation in Wellington, New Zealand in 2003. Neurosurgeon Martin Hunn removed the knife after lengthy surgery and the patient was in serious but stable condition. A man was been arrested and charged over the stabbing.
An X-ray of Michael Hill, of Jacksonville, Fla., with an eight-inch knife sticking out of his skull is on display at Ripley's Believe It Or Not Odditorium.
This X-ray shows a 2-inch nail stuck in an unidentified South Korean patient's skull Thursday, Dec. 2, 2004. According to a Seoul hospital, doctors found the nail after the man came to the hospital, complaining about a severe headache. They speculate that the nail stuck in the man's head four years ago in an accident but the man didn't know about it. The nail was removed in a surgery.